Sunday, May 8, 2011

Unconditional Love

Seconds into holding your child for the first time there's this thing that begins to grow within you. Surely it started before birth but once they are in your arms you can no longer deny it. You would do anything for them, regardless of circumstance. Your heart beats differently.


Before becoming a mom I knew my mother loved me but I didn't understand how she loved me. It was just always there. Many times I took it for granted. She was my mom and she was suppose to love me, no matter what. Then I held Asher. The unconditional love I felt for him was overwhelming and completely organic. I couldn't help it.


Today, on Mother's Day, I think about how my mom loves me. Unconditionally. Whole-heartedly. The best way she knows how. And I can now say I understand. We aren't perfect. I know as Asher's mom I'll continue to get things wrong. But one thing I will always do is love him, the best way I know how. Unconditionally.


Mom,
Thank you for always holding me so tight. Thank you for teaching me independence. Thank you for teaching me to take crap from no one. Thank you for showing me it's ok to be me. And thank you for showing me how to pray. I am who I am today because of you. I love you.


And to Patti, Austin's mom,
You have treated me as though I was your own. Thank you for always taking interest in me, genuinely lending an ear. Thank you for your positive and encouraging spirit. And most of all, thank you for showing me Jesus. You are the most Godly woman I know. I love you.


To the moms who love us and love us well, Happy Mother's Day.






1 comment:

  1. Happy Mothers Day to you, friend! I hope your first one was all you'd hoped it could be. You've said this all very well...we can never know what its like to be our mothers more than we do after our first angel is in our arms. Its like nothing else on earth and just can't be explained in words. Love!

    ReplyDelete