Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Giving Thanks - This one's on me

I started this post in my mind two weeks ago when I stepped off a plane. I was coming home from work in Grand Junction. This would be the last time I de-board for quite awhile and it was almost surreal.


Many of you know that I travel for work. I've done this consistently for the past three years. Some months it's a lot, some months it's a little. But in reality, any travel for work takes a toll on your personal life. It's time away from your loved-ones, out of your normal route, sleeping in a different bed, breathing different air. When you get home it takes time to recover. Shower off the travel dust, put away your travel things, sleep off the different life you've been living. In a couple of days you're back to your familiar life. One that's normal.


So why do all this? It's a good question, one that I ponder almost everytime I leave. I kiss my sweet husband goodbye, pray to God that our time apart will be quick and that He keeps us safe and with a deep breath, I walk away. While I'm away time moves quickly. I stay busy, feel accomplished in what I'm doing and even make some friends along the way. I grow, I learn, I'm independent. This is my internal struggle.


As I headed over to claim my luggage I thought about all this. I considered how far I've come in my career and how at this moment I'm getting the opportunity to pause and reflect. I considered the price that has been paid to get me here. And that's when I realized just how thankful I am. My husband let's me fly each time I walk out the door. He tells me much how much he loves me, how much he'll miss me and how he can't wait for me to come home. While I'm away we'll count down the days til I return over emails and text messages. But all the while he's encouraging me to go. To grow. To learn. To achieve. Completely selfless. Never once asking me to stay. Never asking me to change my course. I'm no fool - as much as Austin will hunker down and focus on other things while I'm away his giddy dimenor when I return can't be hidden. He holds me close, smiles so bright and has even been known to shed a tear of joy upon my return.


Because of him I've achieved lengths I never thought possible or even had the courage to dream. I am thankful for this man. He has given me so much, more than I've ever asked for.


So I picked up my luggage, walked to the car and drove home. I haven't a clue what the future will truly hold. There are few things that are certain and I will cling to those. As for the rest, I'm just thankful I have Austin by my side.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, Kristin. I'm truly move by this post. He is equally as lucky to have you... Xoxo! Beautifully written.

    ReplyDelete